Followers

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

England score World Cup Qualifier: Belarus 1 England 3



England have played 4 and won 4 in Group six now after a professional 3-1 victory in Minsk against Belarus.
England started steadily and played good containing football. Steven Gerrard opened the game up quite early however with a wonderfully crafted 20 yard shot. However Belarus managed to string together some good passing sequences and managed to equalise wth Sitko (28). In the second half England then took the lead again with a counter attack from Emile Heskey setting up Wayne Rooney to score from close range in the 50th minute. Rooney then added a superb second strike with a wonderful passing move with Gerrard involved in the build up (74). Gerrard said after match: "Playing for England you've always got a point to prove. As long as I've got a place in this team then I'm happy. There have been lots of times that I have felt that I haven't hit the heights that I can do but I always keep going."

Rio Ferdinand added: "The key was to make sure we were a tight unit firstly and we did that. I'm delighted for Gerrard, he's been over critical of his play but we've seen him do it for Liverpool and we've seen him do it for England so I was really pleased for him."

No comments: